- Several images not included in the original publication have been added and more are on the way. These include digital image assets made with Adobe Photoshop and Unsplash (two examples of these shared above and below), cartoons made with Adobe Fresco and two added AI images (both of which required evolutions and edits from multiple AI outputs in photoshop – these are the images of the red-haired Astronaut on 9 and the Eye Creature on p17)
- Grammer errors and “Replace All” errors fixed. Notecard reference adjusted to reflect most current version of rules.
- The project page now has a character sheet in word format – it is prefilled with a sample character made by one of my players involved in playtesting. The word doc also has explicit places to type current amount of the basic game resource currencies.
- I remain sad about the attempt to hurt 3rd party d20 RPG Developers. Please support the Open RPG Creative License (ORC), Creative Commons RPG Systems and Project Black Flag
- Hostile Sun has a Creative Commons SRD
- For the 12 Word RPG Jam a 12-Word Version of the game was created.
Randomly rolled stats can get pretty imbalanced. (This has come up in the early playtesting) That can be either a bug or a feature depending on the game you’re playing. If you want to prevent to wide an imbalance:
- Pick a starting number of points for players to distribute – higher or lower depending on intended difficulty.
- Have the players generate their stat values. Set max stat value to 16. If there is more than one value that is 16 or greater reduce those values to 14. Any values lower than 8, increase to 8
- Reveal that the player with objectively the worst stat block will uncover a mutation in the course of playing. I plan to write explicit rules for this in the first supplement to the core rulebook
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” – Quote on Hope and Storytelling from G.K. Chesterton